Monday, January 19, 2015

Happy New Years!

Happy New Year!!! 

Tonga is the first country in the world to ring in the New Year! 

So happy happy 2015!!!

News Years Eve in Tonga is spent feasting with your family in the day time and literally ringing in the new year at church with a service from 10-12 pm!


I spent the day feasting with my host family's extended family, where we had everything from puaka tunu ( roasted pig) to lobster and yummy ota ika ( raw fish in coconut milk). 

The feast all ready to go waiting to finish the prayer then Kai lahi, and many fakamalo's ( speeches)! 

My host grandpa's house, as we waited outside listening to the prayer and singing  hymns before the feast. 

Osi Kai poula! All finished with the feast, after the last fakamalo is given the Tongan mammas go to work piling boxes and plates with whatever they can find to take home or scraps to feed to the dogs. 

This is what my host mom sent me
home with... for one person...

My host mom after she collected all the goodies! ( p.s. She's pregnant and we are all super excited for the new addition to the family, we're supposed to did out this month if it's a boy or girl!!!) 

After a malolo ( rest) my host cousins and I took a trip to te warf in town and did some swimming! 



My host aunt and her son sofa, who were nice enough to take us swimming!

Jumping into the warf , it's pretty crazy people just run and jump and hope for te best no matter what is below ( people or rocks) and of course in their Tongan bathing suit ( the clothes they came in...)

The host cousins!


Action shots!




Happy 2015! Hoping this New Year is full of new adventures, zero funerals, and lots of health and happiness! 




No comments:

Post a Comment